We love our lawn and garden and spend a lot of time outside in the warmer months. Our green lawn stands out in our street as most of our neighbours have used artificial turf. A well maintained lawn really adds value to your home and gives increased street appeal. Did you know that lawns have a cooling effect, saving you approximately 25% in cooling costs?
Last year we had our front garden landscaped and it is looking really green and lush. Our back garden has been in for 10 years and our lawn needs a bit of love and care to get it back to its original standard as you can see below.
We had a visit this week from John and Christine from Turf Australia, to give us some spring lawn care tips so that we can restore our back lawn to its former glory before we start our summer entertaining.
8 Spring Lawn Care Tips
- Spring is the time to get your lawn mower serviced and the blades sharpened so that it is ready for the increased mowing you will be doing over summer
- In early spring, mow lightly, trimming only the leaf tips so as to avoid getting brown patches that may take weeks to recover
- Aerate the soil with a garden fork to improve lawn health and discourage weed growth
- Pull up the winter weeds
- Use a light, slow release fertiliser on the lawn in early spring to improve colour and growth
- Apply wetting agent
- Top dress your lawn to repair holes or uneven areas
- If you have any dead patches, remove the dead grass and fill with good quality soil. If the area is large consider buying a roll of turf to fill in the area.
The weather should be fine this weekend so we hope to make a start with our spring lawn care - first up will be improving our dead patches!
Turf Australia are sponsoring a fantastic giveaway for A Spoonful of Sugar Readers. One lucky reader will win a $250 Bunnings Voucher for their dad for Fathers Day. If you would like to be in the running to win the Bunnings Voucher, log into the giveaway box below with your email address or facebook account and follow the steps. Do as many of the giveaway options as you wish. Giveaway is open to Australian residents only until August 29, and the winner will be announced here on the blog and by email on August 30. Good Luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Important Turf Australia Links