Macadamias are one of our favourite nuts. They taste so delicate and add a lovely texture to these Macadamia shortbread squares. Macadamia shortbreads are easy to prepare. The mixture is pressed into a pan and then is cut into squares while still hot. They are perfect with a cup of tea!
Macadamia Shortbread Squares
1/2 cup sugar
20 g (3/4 oz) macadamia nuts, crushed
2 1/4 cups plain (all purpose) flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
70 g (1 1/2 sticks) butter, chopped into 12 pieces
30 g (1 oz) crushed macadamia nuts
1/4 cup sugar
One 23 x 33 x 5 cm pan (9 x 13 x 2 inch) pan
1. Preheat oven to 160 deg C (350 deg F).
2. To prepare the dough, combine sugar and nuts in food processor. Pulse to grind finely. Add flour and baking powder and pulse to mix. Add butter and pulse until the butter is mixed in.
3. Pour the mixture into prepared pan. Spread evenly and press it in.
4. Use a brush to sprinkle top of dough with water. Scatter nuts and sugar evenly over the dough and press them in.
5. Bake until golden and firm - approx 30 minutes.
6. As soon as you remove the pan from the oven, lift the shortbread onto a chopping board and while it is still hot, cut it into squares.
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, twitter, google plus and pinterest.