We love to give a little something hand made with our gifts. Trimming a face cloth in a binding of pretty floral fabric makes a sweet, practical gift. Team the face cloth with some bath or spa products.
You will need:
- towelling fabric (we used new terry cloth nappies but you could buy a hand towel on clearance or look for towelling fabric at a fabric store).
- fat quarter of floral print cotton for the bias tape (or use commercially available bias binding).
1. Cut out a rectangle or square for your face cloth. Ours measured 11 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches. Round the corners using a coffee mug as a guide. Overlock/serge raw edges.
2. Cut 2 inch strips of fabric on the bias. (i.e. cut the fabric at a 45 degree angle to the grain) and stitch together to make enough bias tape to bind the perimeter of the face cloth.
(For an easy way to make continuous bias tape, check out this helpful tutorial by Coles Corner and Creations.).
3. Iron the bias tape in half lengthwise. Open up and fold the two long edges into the centre and press.
4. Pin the Bias Tape around the outside of the face cloth with the right sides facing (as photographed . Stitch in place. Fold the tape over to the other side of the face cloth. Pin in place. Stitch binding in place. Press.
Pretty Face Cloths would make a lovely gift for Mother's Day. This is a great project for a beginner sewer to practise sewing bias tape. They look pretty in the bathroom. Next we are going to sew up a batch to have on hand for guests.
Fabric Credit: Annie's Farm Stand by Holly Holderman for Lakehouse Dry Goods
The Pretty Face Cloth can be partnered with a Guest Towel with Crochet Trim for a sweet gift. Check out our tutorial to make a coordinating set.