A few years ago, friands were really popular and were on the menu at all the nicest cafes. You don't see them around much any more but they remain a favourite with us. Who can resist a lovely oval cake made from icing sugar, almond meal and egg whites, and topped with a juicy plum?
As we are getting into autumn here, plums are all that remain of the summer stone fruits. They are so delicious and the perfect inspiration for these plum friands.
- 90 grams (0.8 stick ) butter
- 40 grams flour (1/3 cup)
- pinch salt
- 120 grams (1 cup) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 60 gram (2/3 cup) ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 3 plums, halved with stone removed
1. Melt butter in the microwave. Allow to cool.
2. Sift flour, salt, icing sugar, and almonds together. Stir to combine.
3. Lightly beat egg whites until foamy. Stir egg whites into dry ingredients, and fold until smooth. Stir in melted butter.
4. Spoon mixture into friand pan, lined with baking papers. Place half a plum on top.
5. Bake at 180 deg C (355 deg F) for 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
If you love to cook with plums too, check out our Plum Pie with Pavlova Ice-cream
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, twitter, google plus and pinterest.