Giving a gift in a pretty box, is almost like giving two gifts. A gift box can be used to store all manner of things - jewellery, craft supplies, and other treasures. We love the effect from using a white box with a patterned, fabric lid. A fabric covered, padded lid is quick to make, and you can customise the fabric to suit the recipient.
In this gift box, we have used some Old New 30's fabric by Lecien that we bought on our recent trip to Japan. It is a pretty print with a nice weight and texture. The white gift box was purchased at a craft store.
If you would like to make your own, you will need:
- Gift box (ours measured 3 x 3 inches)
- fat quarter of printed fabric
- quilt batting
- small piece of interfacing, (measuring 2 7/8 x 2 7/8)
If you are using a box of a different size, you want the fabric to cover the top, sides, and inside sides of the lid, with it extending onto the underside of the top of the lid. (as shown in photo 2)
2. Glue the quilt batting to the top of the lid. If you are using two layers, glue the layers together first. Apply glue to the inside of the box lid. Adhere the fabric and clip in place while the glue dries.
3.There will be a little bit of fabric (1/4 inch) that will protrude from the lid corners. Glue this fabric around onto the opposing side and allow to dry. Fold approx 1/4 inch in on the remaining two sides so that you get a nice neat corner. Glue the sides of fabric in place on the inside of the box lid. Allow to dry.
4. Cut a piece of heavy fusible interfacing that is slightly smaller than the box lid. (2 7/8 x 2 7/8). Cut a square of fabric that is 3 1/2 x 3 1/2. Centre the interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric square and fuse in place with an iron. Press the remaining fabric down as shown in photo 4. Glue the fabric square to the underside of the lid to hide all the raw edges and make the underside of the box neat.(as shown in photo above).
You could make a Fabric Covered Gift Box for any holiday or occasion - Easter, Christmas, Birthday, Mother's Day etc. Just use fabric to suit.
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, twitter, google plus and pinterest.