We have had heaps of requests over the past couple of years for the Pot Holder Pattern (in a tutorial format) for our Heart Pot Holder. We finally got around to it, just in time for this years Valentines Day. We have modified the pot holder pattern slightly and have made it using some pretty Pirouette Fabrics from XO Gigi Fabrics. It will be perfect when baking some Valentine treats and throughout the year. The pattern features a little felt appliquéd heart.
- 4 fat quarters of quilting cotton
- quilt batting such as warm and natural
- Insul-Bright batting
- pink felt
- Pot Holder Template
1. Cut the fabrics as follows:
Using the heart template cut
- 2 hearts in Fabric 1 (red floral) for the front of the pot holder
- 1 heart in Fabric 2 (pink damask) for the lining of the pot holder
- 1 heart in Fabric 3 (polka dot) for the back of the pot holder
- 2 heart in quilt batting. Cut one of these hearts in half as pictured below.
- 1 heart in Insul-Bright batting
Using the small heart template cut
- 1 heart in pink wool felt
Cut two rectangles, measuring 2 1/4 x 8 inches) from Fabric 4 for the binding on the front of the pot holder.
2. Press the two red hearts in half with the wrong sides facing. Place a piece of batting inside each red heart (using the batting heart that has been cut in half).
To create a binding strip, press the fabric rectangles in half lengthwise. Unfold, and fold the edges into the centre, and press. Fold in half so that you have a binding strip that measures 8 inches x 9/16 inch.
Pin the binding strip to the inside edges of the red hearts and stitch in place. Trim the ends of the binding strip.
Pin the felt heart in position. Stitch around the outside of the heart, 3 times in red cotton. Pull loose threads to the underside and tie off.
3. Position the red hearts on top of the pot holder lining, and pin in place. Stitch around the outside of the pot holder using a basting stitch and a scant seam allowance. Press.
4. Trace the quilting pattern onto the back of the pot holder using a water soluble pen. Pin the back of the pot holder to the insul bright and batting hearts.
Quilt the heart design on the pot holder back. Remove the water soluble pen markings.
5. Pin the pot holder back and front together with the right sides facing. Stitch around the outside of the pot holder leaving a 3 inch gap on on side for turning. Clip curves.
Turn the pot holder out the right way through the opening. Hand stitch the opening closed using a ladder stitch. Press.
6. Top stitch around the outside of the pot holder using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Press.
The heart pot holder pattern is suitable for beginner sewers and can be made in approximately 2 hours.
You can check out our original pot holder on our Valentines Pot Holder post.
Thanks to our lovely reader Kathryn Humes who drew up the template for us.
If you enjoyed this tutorial, please consider sharing it.
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, pinterest, twitter, and google plus.