Drawstring bags are very handy to have in your suitcase to organise clothing and supplies. To store Sarah's new travel themed PJ's, I made up a little drawstring bag to match. It is an unlined drawstring bag as we didn't want to add extra weight to our luggage! They will be perfect for storing the Pyjamas in her suitcase on our next holiday.
Colourful PJ's pants, a drawstring bag, and some travel sized toiletries would make a great gift idea for a teenage girl.
Pyjama BagSize: 11 1/2 x 16 inches ( 29 x 40.5 cm)
- 2 rectangles of fabric measuring 12 x 16 inches (travel themed fabric)
- 2 strips of fabric measuring 12 x 2 1/2 inches (pink polka dot)
- 2 1/2 yards white twill tape (1/2 inch wide) for drawstring
1. Place the two fabric rectangles with their right sides facing. Stitch around the bottom and the two sides using 1/4 inch seam allowance. Overlock (serge) the raw edges.
2. Overlock (serge) the edges on the short sides of the polka dot strips. Place the two strips of fabric with their right sides facing.Stitch them together at each end, leaving a 1/2 inch opening as shown in the photo. (This is where the drawstring will pass through). The polka dot fabric is now a circular piece.
3. Press the seams on the polka dot fabric open. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and press. Pin the raw edges of the polka dot fabric to the opening of the bag, with the seams aligned. Stitch in place around the opening of the bag. Overlock the edges. Press. Topstitch around the opening of the bag as shown in the photo.
4. Cut the twill tape in two. Thread the twill tape in one opening using a bodkin or safety pin. Thread the tape right around the drawstring casing until it comes out the same end that it started. Tie the ends together to secure. Thread the remaining piece of twill tape through the opening in the other side, pass it right around the casing, and back out the same gap. Tie ends together.
Pull both ends to gather up the bag.
Thanks to XO Gigi Fabrics for providing the fabric for this project.
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, pinterest, twitter, and google plus.