Australia Day on January 26 is usually celebrated with BBQ's and picnics. In Perth we have a fabulous skyworks show set over the Swan River. We usually attend the fireworks with a picnic and enjoy all the free entertainment.
We have created a set of placemats in blue, white and red, perfect for our Australia Day celebrations. They have been made from some off white placemats (we used Marit placemats from Ikea ) that have been hemmed in a scrappy binding. We have re-purposed a jeans pocket from an old pair of jeans, which is the perfect place to store cutlery, a serviette/napkin, and some eucalyptus leaves.
We found some little Aussie toothpicks at the $2 shop, and added them to our pocket.
- placemat in white or off white
- fabric scraps in red and blue
- old pair of jeans
- 3 inch piece of striped ribbon
1. Cut the two hemmed edges off the placemat (as pictured) and overlock (serge) raw edges. Cut a pocket from the back of the jeans, leaving 1/2 inch around the pocket.
2. Press the raw edge under the pocket. Position the pocket on the right hand side of the placemat and tuck a folded piece of striped ribbon under the right side of the pocket (refer to photo). Stitch the pocket in place using your sewing machine on the sides and bottom of the pocket. Hand stitch the lining of the pocket to the placemat, leaving the opening free to store cutlery etc.
3. Cut the fabric scraps into pieces measuring 2 1/2 inch wide and into a variety of lengths measuring between 4 - 10 inches. Stitch the pieces together using a mitred join, until you have a long strip measuring approx 70 inches. Press the strip in half lengthwise. Pin around the outside of the placemat, as you would if it were a quilt.
4. Stitch the binding to the placemat, using mitred corners. (If you are not sure how to do this check out tutorials here and here).
Add a serviette and cutlery to the pocket, tied with twine. Add a eucalyptus sprig and a small Aussie flag.
Some of our other projects using recycled denim jeans include:
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebook, pinterest, twitter, and google plus.