Now that the weather is warming up, we are starting to think about eating outdoors and BBQ's in our part of the world. We have spent the past few weekends in the garden - weeding, fertilising and pruning - so everything looks ready for our summer entertaining. We have a built in BBQ in our alfresco area and we love to eat outside on a hot summer night and enjoy the sea breeze.
Handmade gifts for men are always a bit of a challenge. When we spotted the fun Moustache fabric at XO Gigi Fabrics we knew it would be perfect for some BBQ accessories. The Man of the House is not big on BBQ aprons, but a BBQ Grill Mitt and a BBQ Hand Towel is something that he can use - especially in manly black! (Practical colour for BBQ's).
You could team these with some BBQ tools, BBQ sauces (like our Spicy Tomato Ketchup), or Beer for a great gift for a BBQ Enthusiast. (They would be also be perfect for a Movember inspired BBQ!)
BBQ Grill Mitt and Hand Towel
- Fat Quarter, Where's my 'Stache? in neutral
- Fat Quarter, Pimatex Black and White Stripe
- Fat Quarter, Pimatex Dot in Black
- Black Hand Towel
- Warm and White Batting
- 5 inches Black and White Striped Ribbon
1. Cut Fabrics:
- Cut 2 rectangles, 10 x 8 inches (spot)
- Cut 2 squares, 8 x 8 inches (moustache)
- Cut 2 strips from the FQ - 2 1/4 inch wide (stripe)
- Cut 1 strip from the FQ - 2 inch wide (stripe fabric)
- Cut 2 rectangles, 10 x 8 inches (Insul-Brite)
- Cut 1 rectangle, 10 x 8 inches (Batting)
- Cut 2 squares, 8 x 8 inches (Batting)
2. Sandwich the rectangles of Insul-Brite and batting, between the two rectangles of spot fabric, with the spot fabric facing outwards. Pin together with safety pins. Quilt as desired.
3. Sandwich the squares of batting between two squares of moustache fabric, with moustaches facing outwards. Pin together with safety pins. Quilt as desired.
4. Take one strip of stripe fabric (2 inch wide). Press in half lengthwise. Unfold. Fold each long edge into the middle pressed line. Press. You should now have a strip that is 1/2 inch wide. Pin this strip to the top edge of the quilted moustache panel, so that the raw edges are enclosed in the strip binding. Pin in place. Stitch in place.
5. Layer the moustache panel on top of the dot panel and align the bottom edges. Pin in place. Stitch around the perimeter of the Grill Mitt using a scant seam allowance.
6. Sew the two 2 1/4 inch strips together with a mitred join. Apply binding to the outside edge of the Grill Mitt (using the same technique that you would use to bind a quilt).
7. Fold the ribbon in half. Stitch to the top of the grill mitt.
1. Measure the width of the hand towel. Cut a rectangle from the Moustache fabric that is 3 1/2 inch wide x (the width of the hand towel + 1 inch). Cut two strips of stripe fabric that is 1 3/4 inch wide x (width of hand towel + 1 inch).
2. Fold the stripe fabric strips in half lengthwise and press. Pin the stripe fabric to the top and bottom of the moustache fabric so that all edges are aligned. Stitch in place. Press.
3. Position the moustache fabric panel on the hand towel and pin in place. Fold under 1/2 inch at each end. Stitch fabric panel to the hand towel.
Thanks to our sponsor, XO Gigi Fabrics for supplying the fabrics for this project.