One of the things we love about Spring and Summer, is eating more meals outdoors. We enjoy our BBQ's and grilled foods. One way to make your home made burgers and fries shine, is to add some home made spicy tomato ketchup. It has a richer complexity of flavour than the store bought varieties. If you package it up in a nice bottle or jar with some BBQ accessories, it also makes a great gift for BBQ Lovers!
Our Spicy Tomato Ketchup is easy to prepare. You can vary the amount of chili powder to suit your taste - we love a bit of a kick to ours! If you don’t have a vegetable garden with fresh tomatoes, you can use a tinned variety.
Spicy Ketchup Recipe
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 small onion, chopped medium
· 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon of garlic granules)
· 800g (1.75 lbs) crushed tomatoes
· 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
· 1 tablespoons of white vinegar
· 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder
· 1/2 teaspoon paprika
1. Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes.
2. Puree in food processor until smooth.
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer, forcing all sauce through.
4. Pour ketchup into a sterilised jar (pour boiling water over jar and let sit for 1 minute), seal, and store in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Spicy Tomato Ketchup makes a great gift. Download and print out our labels onto white cardstock; cut to size; punch a hole and tie to the jar with ribbon or twine.
You can find the Spicy Tomato Ketchup labels here.