Burp Cloths are such a great gift idea for a Baby Shower or new Mum. They are fairly quick to sew and with all of the gorgeous quilting cottons available, the hardest part will be choosing some co-ordinating prints. When my teens were babies, I would often have a towel or cloth nappy draped over my shoulder to protect my clothing when nursing. These burp cloths are so much nicer, and are such a practical gift. They look great tied together with some wide satin ribbon.
3 x towelling/cloth nappies or diapers
3 pieces of Cotton Fabric measuring approximately 20 cm (8 inches) x 65 cm (26 inches)
1. Pre-wash the nappies and the fabric.
2. Lay the nappy out flat on a table and mark the mid point of the top and bottom edges. Fold the sides in to meet at the midpoint and secure with pins.
3. Using a zigzag stitch secure the short ends. Zigzag along the midpoint of the cloth, securing both long edges together.
4. Measure the burp cloth from top to bottom. Make sure your fabric is 1 inch longer. Press under 1 cm (1/2 inch) on each side of the cotton fabric. Position the cotton fabric over the middle of the burp cloth, covering the seam line.
5. Stitch in place using a zigzag stitch. Stack a trio of burp cloths and tie with a ribbon.
Other Baby Shower gift ideas include: