Over the past few weeks I have been experimenting with different techniques and flavours to make our own flavoured coffee beans. Our favourite has to be Vanilla Coffee -
Vanilla Flavoured Coffee Beans
- Purchase freshly roasted coffee beans.
- Place approx 1/2 kg (1 lb) coffee beans into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Add 3-4 vanilla beans that have been split down the centre and mix them in with the coffee beans.
- Allow the vanilla and coffee beans at least 24 hours to infuse (or longer if you want a more intense flavour). Remove the vanilla pods and use the coffee as desired.
- Store coffee beans in an air tight container in a dry, dark place at room temperature. Glass, ceramic or non reactive metal containers make the best storage for coffee beans.
Other flavours you can use include: cinnamon sticks; whole nutmeg; cardamom; and whole cloves.
One of the advantages of making your own flavoured coffee is avoiding the synthetic flavours and preservatives found in many of the commercially available flavoured coffees - it is a much healthier alternative.
With Fathers Day rapidly approaching here in Australia, flavoured coffee beans would make a great gift for Dad. Team it with a Coffee Machine or Grinder to really make Dad's day.
Thanks to Big W for sponsoring this post.