Sarah made up some delicious Cinnamon Muffins on the weekend, with a cinnamon filling and streusel topping - they were amazing! They were especially yummy warm from the oven.
Servings: 12 muffins
For the streusel topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup slithered almonds
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup plain flour (all-purpose flour)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the filling:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 and 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the muffins:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 and 3/4 cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F.)
2. Line a cupcake pan with the liners of your choice.
3. For the streusel topping: In a large bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients, stirring with a fork until the mixture is crumbly; set aside.
4. For the filling: In a small bowl, combine all of the cinnamon filling ingredients, mixing until smooth; set aside.
5. For the muffins: In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, milk, and eggs, whisking until combined.
6. In another large bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, mixing well.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir with a rubber spatula until the batter is smooth and well-combined.
8. Place approximately 2 tablespoons of the batter into each muffin liner (fill them halfway up.)
9. At this point, place about 1-2 teaspoons of the cinnamon filling on top of the muffin batter.
10. Place the remaining batter on top of the cinnamon filling.
11. Sprinkle the streusel topping over each muffin.
12. Bake until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool.
Recipe adapted from The Curvy Carrot.
Does your family have a favourite muffin flavour?