How to Make a Pencil Case
Project Difficulty: Beginner/Intermediate
Time Required: 1 hour
Finished project measures: 3 1/2 x 6 3/4 inches (9 x 17 cm)
- Linen measuring 7" x 2 3/4"
- Fabric 1 measuring 7" x 1 3/4"
- Fabric 2 measuring 7" x 2"
- Fabric 3 measuring 7" x 2 1/4"
- Fabric 4 measuring 7" x 7 1/4 (lining)
- Flannel measuring 7" x 7 1/4" (batting)
- zipper measuring at least 7"
- Ribbon/tape measuring 3"
Note: Please read all instructions before commencing the project. Careful and accurate cutting and sewing are essential to ensure success with this project. A seam allowance of 1/4in is included throughout.
1. To assemble the exterior of the pencil case, stitch the linen strip, to Fabrics 1, 2 and 3 (as shown in photograph). Press the seams open. Topstitch 1/8 " on both sides of each seam.
2. Position the lining on top of the flannel rectangle. Pin the layers together, and quilt together through both layers in straight lines approx 1/2 " apart.
3. Position your lining facing up on your work surface. Position your zipper so that it is face up with the zipper pull on the right side and the edge of the zipper is aligned with the long edge of the lining. Position the patchwork rectangle so that the right side is facing down, and the linen strip is on the right hand side. Pin in place. Using your sewing machine and the zipper foot, stitch in place through all layers. Refer to photo.
4. Align the other long edge of the patchwork pencil case exterior, with the other side of the zipper and pin in place so that the right sides are facing. Take the other edge of the lining, fold under the zipper, and pin this to the other edge of the zipper. Refer to the photo for placement, and stitch in place. It will appear that you have two separate channels, but once it is sewn in place and turned out the right way it will look like a pencil case!
5. Open the zipper and turn the pencil case so that the lining is on the outside and it is tubular in shape. With a pin, mark the midpoint of each side. Position the zipper so that it is in the centre of each side, and pin in place. (Refer to photo). Fold the piece of ribbon/tape in half, and position it in the middle of the pouch (linen end). Stitch along each side. Then zigzag or overlock/serge to secure. Trim ends of zipper, Turn right side out and press.
There you have it, a useful little pencil case or pouch to pop in your handbag.
Have you Subscribed to our newsletter? First issue coming out in February.