Materials (for each Mushroom). Each mushroom measures approx 3 1/2" x 3" (9 x 7.5 cm)
- two pieces of felt measuring 4" x 5 " (10 x 13 cm)
- scraps of fabric for the mushroom head, stalk, and underside
- length of twine measuring 7" (18 cm)
- scraps of fusible applique web such as steam a seam or vliesofix
- mushroom template (click here to download)
- black cotton thread and thread to co-ordinate with the felt
1. Trace the mushroom templates in reverse onto the wrong side of the fusible webbing. Cut around each shape leaving approx 1/4 ".
2. Fuse the appliqué webbing onto the wrong side of the fabric pieces. Cut out the mushroom shapes from the fabric.
3. On one piece of felt, fuse the mushroom pieces in place following manufacturers directions. Refer to the photo of the mushrooms below for the layout of the pieces.
4. Using black cotton, stitch around the inside edge of the fabric pieces. Sew around each shape three times, overlapping the stitching slightly to give a sketchy look.
5. Cut around the mushroom shape, leaving approx 1/4 " of felt around each shape.
6. Fold the twine in half and position it at the top of the mushroom. Layer the mushroom onto the other piece of felt.
7. Stitch around the outside of the mushroom on the felt, catching the twine in place as you go. Over sew across the twine a few times to ensure it is well attached. Cut around the backing piece of felt so that it is line with the front of the mushroom.
You may also be interested in these projects:
Be Merry Festive Garland
You can find lots of great tutorials for Christmas gifts and decorations over at Pink Chalk Studios.